• Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019
  • Last Update : 01:06 pm

Glitch in PM’s flight: All accused acquitted

  • Published at 08:30 pm April 4th, 2018
  • Last updated at 12:22 am April 5th, 2018
Glitch in PM’s flight: All accused acquitted
A Dhaka court on Wednesday acquitted all 11 accused in a case filed over the technical glitch in a VVIP Biman flight carrying Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in 2016. Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge Kamrul Hossain Mollah passed the order. The 11 officials are Biman Chief Engineer Debesh Chowdhury, Chief Engineer (quality assurance) SS Siddique, Principal Engineer (system and maintenance) Billal Hossain, engineers Shamiul Haque, Niron Chandra Bishwas, Lutfar Rahman, Zakir Hossain, and SM Rokonuzzaman, Technician Siddiqur Rahman, Engineer (officer) Nazmul Hoque, and Junior Technician Shah Alam. The court also ordered three of the acquitted – Siddiqur Rahman, Nazmul Hoque, and Shah Alam – to submit a report under Section 287 of the penal code. On December 7 last year, Inspector Mahabub Alam of the Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime (CTTC) Unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police submitted the final report to the General Reporting Office of Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court recommending the acquittal of all those accused in the case.
Also Read- PM flight glitch: 10 suspended Biman staffers get bail
The Biman flight that was supposed to carry the prime minister to Budapest had to make an emergency landing at Ashgabat International Airport in Turkmenistan on November 27, 2016 due to low oil pressure in its engine. Three probe panels were formed by Biman Bangladesh Airlines, Civil Aviation Authority, Bangladesh (CAAB), and Civil Aviation and Tourism Ministry on November 28 to look into the issues with the VVIP flight. A total of nine officials, including three engineers of Biman Bangladesh Airlines, were suspended for their negligence of duty in connection with this incident. On December 20 in 2016, Director (Engineering and Management) of Biman Bangladesh Airlines MM Asaduzzaman filed a case against nine officials of the national flag carrier with the Airport police station under the Special Powers Act. On the following day, the DMP headquarters issued an order to transfer the case to the CTTC unit from the Airport police station. Later, two more officials were arrested in the case.