• Thursday, Dec 12, 2019
  • Last Update : 08:40 am

Diaz murder: CU ex-assistant proctor sent to jail

  • Published at 04:25 pm December 18th, 2017
  • Last updated at 10:53 pm December 18th, 2017
Diaz murder: CU ex-assistant proctor sent to jail
A former assistant proctor of Chittagong University has been jailed after surrendering before a court in the murder case of Bangladesh Chhatra League central leader, Diaz Irfan Chowdhury. Chittagong Chief Judicial Magistrate Munshi Mashiar Rahman passed the order on Monday after rejecting the bail petition of former assistant proctor Anwar Hossain. Diaz, the former joint secretary of CU Chhatra League unit and also Assistant Secretary of central Chhatra League, was found dead in his flat near the Gate 2 area of the university on November 20, 2016. Hathazari Police recovered his hanging body from his bedroom but could not determine the exact cause of death. Family members have alleged that Diaz was murdered before being hanged, as his mobile phone was missing and his legs were seen touching the bed, creating suspicion over whether it was a suicide. Diaz’s mother, Jaheda Amin Chowdhury, is also an employee of Chittagong University and claims the murder was masterminded by a teacher who holds an administrative post and one of the top leaders of the Chhatra League unit. She said that her son was murdered as a sequel to rivalry among Chhatra League leaders centering on a tender of the university. In this regard Jaheda filed a case with the court accusing 10 leaders and activists of Chhatra League including former assistant proctor Anwar Hossain, also an assistant professor at the Sociology department of the university. Ratan Kumar Roy, counsel of the plaintiff, said some of the accused in the murder case were granted ad-interim bail for a period of six months. “Anwar Hossain prayed for bail after surrendering before the Chittagong Chief Judicial Magistrate court, but the court ordered for the accused to be sent to jail,” the counsel said. In protest, the accused Chhatra League leaders who were sued in the Diaz murder case began an indefinite on Monday strike by locking the main gate of the CU campus at around 11:30am and intercepting the university-bound shuttle train services. They were demanding an immediate release of the former assistant proctor and the withdrawal of the case. The accused Chhatra League leaders convened a press conference at Chittagong Press Club on Sunday to threaten tougher programmes on the university campus if the case against them was not withdrawn immediately. Pleading innocence, they requested the university authorities to take steps against the “false and fabricated” case.