• Tuesday, Jul 17, 2018
  • Last Update : 05:41 pm

SC wants army official as Lakehead Grammar School principal

  • Published at 02:47 pm December 5th, 2017
  • Last updated at 03:13 pm December 5th, 2017
SC wants army official as Lakehead Grammar School principal
The Supreme Court has directed the Ministry of Education to form within seven days a new managing committee at Lakehead Grammar School with the divisional commissioner of Dhaka as the panel’s president and an army official as the principal. A five-member Appellate Division bench, headed by acting Chief Justice Md Abdul Wahhab Miah, passed the order on Tuesday. The court also stayed for one week a High Court order to reopen the school, making its academic activities remain suspended for the time being. The Ministry of Education, which earlier said the school was running without its approval, will have to come up with the new managing committee by then. The new committee would be able to resume the academic and other operation activities once its formed, said Rashna Imam, one of the lawyers who represented the school owner and parents of the students during Tuesday’s hearing. In the hearing, Attorney General Mahbubey Alam represented the state, while former attorney general AF Hassan Arif and Barrister Akhtar Imam represented the school owners and guardians of its students. On November 6, the Ministry of Education ordered the Dhaka district administration to shut down all branches of Lakehead Grammar School in the capital over allegations that the institution was patronising militancy and involved in ‘anti-liberation’ activities. Three days later, the High Court, after hearing a petition challenging the government move, had issued a rule asking the government to explain why suspension of the school’s academic activities would not be illegal. On November 14, the High Court also ordered reopening of the school within 24 hours, but the chamber judge stayed that order following a plea from the state. The matter later went to the Appellate Division, which on November 19 asked the state to file a leave to appeal against the High Court order, and extended the stay order by 10 more days. This article was first published on Bangla Tribune