A special tribunal is set to deliver its judgement on Wednesday in a war crimes case filed against two Kishoreganj razakars for their alleged involvement in the murder of over 60 people, arson and loot during the 1971 Liberation War.
Justice Anwarul Haque-led International Crimes Tribunal fixed the date on Tuesday.
The tribunal finished hearing arguments in the case on March 7 and kept the case pending for verdict.
One of the accused Syed Mohammad Hussain alias Hossain, 54, is absconding while Muhammad Moslem Pradhan, 66, is in jail. Both hail from Kishoreganj sadar upazila.
The duo were indicted on May 6 last year. Charges brought against the duo include killing of 62 people, abduction and detention of 11 people, and burning down some 250 houses in Nikli upazila.
The prosecution has demanded death penalty for the accused while the defence claim the duo are innocent.
Prosecutor Tureen Afroz told reporters that they had urged the tribunal to declare rape and forced religious conversions equal to genocide. “We have cited examples from various international trials [for this],” she said.
Defence counsel Abdus Sattar Palowan refuted the charges as invalid.
“Moslem Pradhan is a farmer and Syed Hossain was in the police. We have successfully proved that the charges brought against them are baseless,” he claimed.