• Wednesday, Feb 19, 2020
  • Last Update : 09:16 am

Narayanganj seven-murder verdict due Jan 16

  • Published at 01:23 pm November 30th, 2016
  • Last updated at 07:09 pm November 30th, 2016
Narayanganj seven-murder verdict due Jan 16
District and Sessions Judge Syed Enayet Hossain fixed the date on Wednesday after concluding the hearing, Public Prosecutor Wazed Ali Khokon said. On April 27, 2014, Nazrul Islam, his three associates and driver were abducted from Fatullah area. At the same time, senior lawyer of the Narayanganj District Judge’s Court Chandan Kumar Sarker and his driver were abducted on their way to Dhaka. Three days into their abduction, the bodies of six people, including that of Nazrul and Chandan, were recovered from the Shitalakkhya and Dhaleshwari rivers on April 30. The body of Nazrul’s driver Jahangir was recovered from the Shitalakkhya River on May 1. Two cases were filed over the incident. Nazrul’s wife Selina Islam Beauty filed a case against six people, including former councillor and local Awami League leader Nur Hossain, while Chandan’s family filed the other case without naming anyone. Later, Shahidul Islam, Nazrul’s father-in-law, claimed that RAB officials had killed Nazrul and others in exchange for Tk6 crore from Nur Hossain, the prime accused in the murder case, and other accomplices. Three former RAB officials, including RAB 11 camp commander Lt Col Tareq Sayeed, were sent on forced retirement for their alleged involvement and are now in jail. Tareq is the son-in-law of Disaster Management Minister Mofazzal Hossain Chowdhury Maya. Nineteen others also stand accused in the case. Nur Hossain and his aides were arrested in Kolkata for illegal entry and possession of arms on June 14 that year. India handed over Nur Hossain to Bangladesh on November 12, 2015 - barely a day after Dhaka deported ULFA separatist leader Anup Chetia. Several investigation committees were formed to look into the murders. A RAB internal investigation found that 27 of its members, including three top RAB 11 officials, were involved in the incident.