The associate professor of sociology was sent to jail by a Chittagong court on Monday on charges of defaming Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
The Chittagong University (CU) authorities temporarily suspended sociology department's Assistant Professor Maidul Islam on Tuesday.
CU Registrar KM Nur Ahmed said the teacher was temporarily suspended in accordance with the rules of the university as he was sent to jail.
On Monday, a Chittagong court ordered that the teacher of Chittagong University (CU) be sent to jail on charges of defaming Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Facebook.
Chhatra League’s CU unit's former executive member Md Ifterkhar Uddin Ayaz filed a case against Sociology Department's Assistant Professor Maidul Islam, under Section 57 of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Act with the Hathazari police on July 23.
Also Read - CU teacher jailed over derogatory comment on PM
Teachers demand Maidul's release
Teachers of different private and public universities demanded the immediate release of CU Assistant Prof Maidul Islam from jail.
In a statement issued on Monday, they said: "We are surprised, angry and shocked at this incident."
"It is natural that there will be political differences in a democratic society, but it is not possible to accept that someone will be threatened because of differences."
They are calling out to students and teachers of all the universities including the Chittagong University and the people of the country to raise their voices against this injustice.
The teachers urged the government to release Maidul Islam immediately, and identify the people connected in threatening him and bring them to justice.
The teachers demanding the release of Maidul are:
• Anu Muhammad, professor, department of economics, Jahangirnagar University
• Gitiara Nasreen, professor, department of mass communication and journalism, Dhaka University
• Mirza Taslima Sultana, professor, department of anthropology, Jahangirnagar University
• Sayeed Ferdaus, department of anthropology, Jahangirnagar University
• Golam Hossain Habib, assistant professor, English department, Chittagong University
• Ainun Nahar, professor, department of anthropology, Jahangirnagar University
• Shafiqunnabi Samadi, professor, Bangla department, Rajshahi University
• Sadaf Noor-E-Islam, associate professor, department of anthropology, Chittagong University
• Abdul Mannan, associate professor, department of international relations, Dhaka University
• Seuty Sabur, assistant professor, department of economics and social sciences, Brac University
• Robayet Ferdous, professor, department of mass communication and journalism, Dhaka University
• Abdullah Al Mamun, professor, English department, Rajshahi University