• Sunday, Dec 08, 2019
  • Last Update : 11:22 pm

USDA: Bangladesh’s poultry sector gearing up for export in 5-yr time

  • Published at 09:52 pm March 28th, 2019
Bangladesh poultry industry
USDA estimates at least one million entrepreneurs and eight million people are involved in Bangladesh’s poultry sector Mehedi Hasan/Dhaka Tribune

The bright prospect of Bangladesh’s poultry sector growth has been reflected in a report prepared by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)

Bangladesh’s poultry sector is gearing up to export eggs and poultry meat by 2024. The sector has nearly closed the gap between the domestic demand with a growing supply of both eggs and meat; the country’s poultry farms are growing at a faster rate of 15% a year.

The bright prospect of Bangladesh’s poultry sector growth has been reflected in a report prepared by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). It says, the sector having Tk35,000 crore investments is expected to double in the next decade. 

“The poultry sector is gearing up to export eggs and poultry meat by 2024, especially to the Middle East, a big market for halal meat, USDA says in a March 20 report.   

USDA estimates, that one million entrepreneurs and eight million people, involved in Bangladesh’s poultry sector, commercially produce 10.22 billion eggs and 1.46 million tons of poultry meat annually.   

The country will require 17 billion eggs, 2 million tons of poultry meat, 85.8 million day-old chicks, and 7.9 million MT of feed to meet the demand by 2021, the report says.

However, the Department of Livestock under the Livestock and Fisheries Ministry, says country is already producing 15.52 billion eggs against the current annual demand of 17.13 billion.  

The poultry sector supplies 36% of total protein intake through meat and egg consumption.  Yearly, 95 eggs are eaten per capita, while consumption of chicken stands at 6.5kg, says USDA.  

Riding on a burgeoning poultry sector, Bangladesh’s feed sector also marked a big-time growth. 

Over 400 mills are supplying 3.61 million tons of feed, meeting up to 96% of annual poultry feed demand while the remaining 4% demand is met by imported feed and homemade feed-mix. However, only a half of these feed mills are registered by the government, while the others operating without registration. 

Raw materials used for poultry feed production include maize (55-65%), soybean meal (20-25%), mustard oil cake (10-25%), rice bran (10-20%), and meat and bone meal (10-20%).  

The USDA report says, thanks to gradual increased capacity of millers in meeting the rising demand of soymeal for feed industries, and the increasing demand for animal protein and soybean oil for human consumption, soybean crushing is expected to increase by 7.41% to 1.45 million MT in 2019-20.  Growth and expansion of the feed industry, as well as the poultry and livestock sectors, is a result of increasing consumption of meat, eggs, and fish, it adds. 

Soybean imports in 2019-20 are projected to rise 3.85% to 1.35 million MT assuming increased demand both for raw materials use in animal feed, and for soybean oil use in food products.   

According to the Department of Livestock statistics, the number of country’s commercially reared chicken population rose from nearly 222 million in 2008-09 to 282 million in the last financial year.   

To feed the growing feed needs of poultry industry, farmers in Bangladesh posted a record growth in maize production from less than 0.1 million MT in early 1990s to over three and half million MT now. Thanks to ever rising feed demands, Bangladesh is still requiring to import over a million MT of maize each year.