Parvez was granted bail after no specific allegations were found against him
The High Court has granted bail to an accused in a case filed over the trafficking and murder of 26 Bangladeshi migrants in Libya.
The bench of Justice Jahangir Hossain Selim and Justice Md Badruzzaman passed the order after Parvez Hasan’s lawyer sought bail on his behalf on Thursday.
Parvez was granted bail as no specific allegations were found against him over the trafficking and murder of the 26 Bangladeshis, said Deputy Attorney General (DAG) Dr Md Bashir Ullah.
However, the government will move an appeal before the Appellate Division challenging the bail order, he added.
Several cases were filed on charges of human trafficking after the massacre in Libya on May 28.
Parvez was shown as arrested on August 4 in one of the cases filed with the Paltan Police Station on June 2.
On May 28, a total of 26 Bangladesh citizens were killed and 11 others were injured in a shooting by human traffickers in the desert town of Mizdah, some 180km from the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
Subsequently, the CID filed a case over the incident with Paltan police station, against 38 named, and 8-10 unnamed individuals.
There are six fugitives among those named as accused in the case.
Mahbubur Rahman said a total of 26 cases had been filed over the Libya incident in Bangladesh and the CID was investigating 25 of them.
So far, 171 arrests had been made and the charge sheet had been submitted in a case filed in Habiganj.
Of the 171 people who have been arrested, 42 accused have already given confessional statements before the court.
The CID chief said a total of 38 Bangladeshis were trafficked to Libya in separate incidents since May 2019. They were taken to Benghazi on the way to Italy and Spain, before being diverted to Tripoli.
On October 3, the CID brought back nine of the victims from Libya.