• Tuesday, Dec 07, 2021
  • Last Update : 03:21 pm

Attack on UNO: Police detain 2 for interrogation

  • Published at 11:49 pm September 3rd, 2020
Ghoraghat Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) of Dinajpur Wahida Khanam
File photo of Ghoraghat Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) of Dinajpur Wahida Khanam Dhaka Tribune

Ghoraghat UNO Wahida Khanam was brutally attacked by unknown miscreants in her own home

Police have detained two individuals for interrogation in connection with the attack on Wahida Khanam, the upazila nirbahi officer (UNO) of Ghoraghat upazila in Dinajpur.

The critically injured UNO's father, Omar Ali, was also severely wounded in the incident when he tried to save his daughter from her assailants.

Speaking to Dhaka Tribune on Thursday, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) of the Rangpur Range Devdas Bhattacharya said: "This [the attack] is a criminal offence. The police, CID and Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) are investigating the matter with utmost priority. Efforts are being made to identify the culprits and bring them under the law as soon as possible."

Also Read - Dinajpur UNO attacked at official residence, airlifted to Dhaka

"CCTV footage of the victim's house has been collected and is now being examined. Two people were seen in the footage.

"We are investigating the matter while keeping in mind all the angles related to the incident," he added.

Meanwhile, Ghoraghat police station OC Amirul Islam said that two detained individuals were being interrogated. 

"However, we are not disclosing their identities for the sake of investigation," the OC added.

According to local sources, miscreants stormed into the UNO's residence at around 2:30am on Thursday through a window. 

After entering the house, the miscreants started attacking UNO Wahida Khanam.

Both the UNO and her father were first taken to Rangpur Medical College Hospital. 

Later, the UNO was shifted to the ICU of Rangpur Community Medical College Hospital.

Also Read - Farhad: Reason behind attack on UNO will be revealed soon

Subsequently the UNO was airlifted to Dhaka by a Bangladesh Air Force helicopter in the afternoon. 

She was admitted at the National Institute of Neurosciences and Hospital (NINH) for better treatment.

"There are fractures on her skull. She has also suffered excessive bleeding," Prof Quazi Deen Mohammad, director of the NINH in Dhaka, told reporters while giving an update on her condition Thursday evening. 

He said that it seemed Wahida was hit in the head with a metal object.

"She is not fully conscious. Her blood pressure has dropped. She is not in a stable condition," the NINH director added.

According to sources, Wahida Khanam was taken to an operation theatre (OT) of the NINH at around 9pm. 

Facebook 55
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail