• Friday, Jun 25, 2021
  • Last Update : 05:24 am

Journalist burnt in Dhaka house fire

Moazzem Hossain Nannu
File photo of Moazzem Hossain Nannu Collected

Back in January, his son died of another fire incident at the same house

A journalist sustained burn injuries in a fire that broke out at his house.

The incident took place in Aftabnagar of Dhaka, early Friday.

Moazzem Hossain Nannu, a crime reporter for Daily Jugantor, was admitted to the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery in the capital around 4:30am on Friday.

Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) police outpost in-charge, Inspector Md Bachchu Miah, confirmed the matter.

Resident physician Partha Sankar Pal of the institute said the journalist, now undergoing treatment at the intensive care unit (ICU), sustained 60% burns and that his condition is critical.

The senior journalist was the former general secretary of the Crime Reporters' Association of Bangladesh (CRAB).

Bachchu said the reason behind the fire could not be ascertained yet.

He surmised that the fire might have originated from a gas leakage.

Earlier in January of this year, the journalist's son, Shapnil Ahmed Piash, 24, died in a fire reportedly caused by a short circuit in the same house.

Nannu’s wife Pallabi, told Dhaka Tribune that Nannu returned home from the Jugantor newspaper office around 1:30am on Friday.

She also said their son’s room mostly remains closed since he passed away. But she and her husband  go to the room from time to relive his memories.

“Coming home from work, Nannu opened their son's room at 3:30am on Friday. As soon as he pressed the switch to turn on the light, a loud explosion took place,” she added.

Immediately, burnt Nannu went to the bathroom and took a bath. He later extinguished the fire himself and was rescued and admitted to the hospital, Pallabi added.

She also said sometimes the smell of gas could be found in the flat. 

The gas mechanics were brought in four days ago and they checked the line four times. They said the gas could have formed in the bathroom commode.

Meanwhile, CRAB President Abul Khair and General Secretary Asaduzzaman Biku urged people of the country to pray for Nannu’s quick recovery.

Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail