• Tuesday, Nov 12, 2019
  • Last Update : 09:35 am

11 Bangladeshis feared dead in Saudi bus accident

  • Published at 11:20 pm October 19th, 2019
Saudi-Bus-Crash-Accident-Bangladeshis-Killed
A handout picture from the Saudi Red Crescent obtained by AFP on October 17, 2019 shows a pilgrims' bus in flames on the road near the town of Medina, 840 kms north-west of the Saudi capital Riyadh, late on October 16, 2019 AFP

Identities will be confirmed once DNA tests are done

A total of eleven Bangladeshi nationals were among the passengers in a bus when it collided with another vehicle near the Muslim holy city of Medina on Wednesday.

However, their fate is yet to be confirmed.

Shortly after the accident, the bus carrying the pilgrims, travelling from Medina to Mecca, caught fire killing at least 36 people.

First Secretary (Labour) at Consulate General of Bangladesh in Jeddah K M Salahuddin, in a statement on Saturday, said there were 40 passengers in the bus when the accident took place and that there were no Bangladeshis among the four injured.

There were 13 Bangladeshis in the bus that was travelling from Riyadh to Mecca via Medina. Among them, two of the Bangladeshi passengers got down from the bus in Medina.

The consulate general have so far managed name of 10 of the Bangladeshi nationals, read the statement.

DNA samples of the dead were collected at Al Miqat Hospital and initiatives will be taken to trace their identity if the family members or relatives contact the hospital, it said.

However, it is not possible right now to say whether they include any Bangladeshi or not, it added.