The protesters are demanding that their respective quotas in government recruitment, which were abolished last week, be reinstated
An organization of freedom fighters’ families continued a protest in Dhaka for the third consecutive day on Friday, while a group representing persons with disabilities joined the demo.
The protesters are demanding that their respective quotas in government recruitment, which were abolished last week, be reinstated.
As per their previous announcement, the newly formed platform of the protesters – Muktijuddho Moncho – postponed their blockade for nine hours till 3pm upon request from Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan.
The home minister met the protesters around 9pm on Thursday and requested them not to block the road on Friday morning as it would cause disruption to students sitting for the medical college admission test.
The protesters took to Shahbagh intersection after 3pm and started their agitation by putting up barriers at the intersection, and halting movements of vehicles.
A member of the platform, Aminul Islam Bulbul, said: “We want the freedom fighter quota to be reinstated and we will not leave the streets until our demands are met.”
The agitation on the third day caused suffering for commuters in the capital and led to traffic jams.
Hundreds of vehicles were stuck in a long tailback and many of them, heading for Science Lab, Farmgate and Motijheel, were seen diverting from the route.
Spokesperson of the platform Dhaka University (DU) Prof AKM Jamal Uddin announced that the blockade would be relaxed for DU convocation on Saturday.
Persons with disabilities join protest
Under the banner of “Bangladesh Pratibandhi Shikkharthi Oikya Parishad”(Bangladesh Disabled Students' Unity Council), around 50 protesters staged a sit-in protest in Shahbagh-Science Lab road, few yards off the place occupied by the Mutijuddho Moncho.
They also placed their seven point demands including reservation of 5% quota privilege in first and second class jobs, which was 1% before the abolition and demanded an additional 10% quota in third and fourth class government jobs.
Md Ali Hossain, convener of the platform, announced to stage the same program at the same place on Saturday from 3pm.
He said: “We will continue our protests until the demands are met. The gazette notification regarding abolition of quota must be withdrawn.”
“If our demands are not by Monday, we will go for indefinite hunger strike from Tuesday.”
As per the announcement, Muktijoddha Moncho will organize a protest in Shahbagh at 3pm on Saturday, and it will be attended by children and grandchildren of the freedom fighters from across the country.