Bangladesh Sadharan Chhatra Adhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad, the platform for quota reform movement in government jobs, has said their boycott of classes and exams in all colleges and universities across the country will continue.
Earlier on Tuesday morning, the platform had decided to boycott classes only, not examinations. But Hasan Al Mamun, convener of the movement told the Dhaka Tribune in the evening that they would continue peaceful protests by boycotting classes and examinations as before.
After staging a seven-hour blockade of the Shahbagh intersection in Dhaka on Monday, the demonstrators came up with the boycott declaration.
On April 26, the protesters warned that they would resume the protest if a gazette notification was not published in April. Later, they gave the government time till May 7.
On April 8, thousands of students demonstrated in Shahbagh and DU areas to protest the current 56% quota reserved for selected groups for government jobs.
That evening, over 50 students were injured in violent clashes between the police, Bangladesh Chhatra League activists, and the demonstrators. Later, universities all across Bangladesh expressed solidarity by participating in the movement.
On that night, during clashes in Shahbagh and Dhaka University areas, a group of people attacked and vandalized the DU vice-chancellor’s residence.
The prime minister eventually announced the quota system would be scrapped.
At least five cases were later filed against unnamed persons at Shahbagh and Ramna police stations over the violence and attack on the vice-chancellor’s residence.