• Tuesday, Sep 25, 2018
  • Last Update : 03:44 pm

British-Bangladeshi jailed for raping three London women

  • Published at 11:28 am May 1st, 2018
British-Bangladeshi jailed for raping three London women
A British-Bangladeshi man has been jailed for raping multiple women in the United Kingdom. The Wood Green Crown Court sentenced Mamun Rashid to 18 years in prison on Sunday, reports the Independent. According to the report, the 30-year-old will remain on the UK sex offenders register for life. Mamun's identity as a British-Bangladeshi was confirmed by one of his neighbours. Earlier on March 10, he was found guilty at the same court of five counts of rape, one count of attempted rape, one count of assault by penetration, one count of sexual assault, one count of actual bodily harm and one count of threatening to kill. The offences, carried out between August 2016 and May 2017, relate to three women aged between 19 and 29 years. The Independent said the 30-year-old used housesharing website SpareRoom to advertise his spare bedroom. He targeted women aged between 18 and 45 years. When the women contacted him and moved into his house, Mamun offered them the room for free in exchange for sex. He sexually assaulted the women when they refused his offer. On May 6, 2017, a 19-year-old woman contacted him via SpareRoom and arranged to meet him to see the flat. The following day, she moved into Mamun’s spare bedroom. Later that evening, he raped her and threatened to kill her if she tried to escape or call police. She reported the incident to the police after he released her. He was arrested the following day. Police contacted approximately 3,000 people who had been in contact with Mamun via SpareRoom since he first began posting adverts in 2014. As a result, two further victims came forward. On August 7, 2016, a 29-year-old woman was also raped by him under similar circumstances. She reported it to the police in August 2017. Mamun was released from prison in September 2017, and arrested over the fresh allegations. He was returned to prison. Later, detectives recovered messages on his phone suggesting there was another victim. The police contacted a 22-year-old woman in October 2017. She too made an allegation of sexual assault which occurred on April 4, 2017. Initially, he denied all charges against him but was convicted after a two-week trial. Detective Constable Stav Georgiou-Moran of the Metropolitan Police‘s Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command, said the three women were physically injured in the sexual assaults and also suffered psychological trauma. SpareRoom spokesman Matt Hutchinson said the safety of their users is a top priority and they had cooperated with the police regarding the case. This article was first published on banglatribune.com