Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan on Tuesday said the government was trying to identify the people who are behind spreading fake news of a protester's death during the quota reform movement, and legal action will be taken against them.
Talking to reporters at the secretariat, the Home Minister said: "We are trying to identify those who have agitated the demonstrators by spreading fake news regarding a protester's death in police firing, on Facebook."
The responsible people will be sued under the Digital Security Act, he added.
Replying to a quarry of journalists about Ganajagaran Mancha convener Imran H Sarkar, Asaduzzaman said: "Not only Imran, but also other people who were with him in spreading the news will be identified."
Referring to the agitators who attacked and vandalized the house of Dhaka University Vice-Chancellor Prof Mohammad Akhtaruzzaman, the minister said the video footage of the incident had been scrutinized and that a case would be filed against the attackers.
"Detectives along with other law enforcers are working to spot the attackers. They are also trying to find out whether leaders and activists of any political party were involved with the attack, " he added.
Replying to a question about a reported assault by Chhatra League on anti-quota demonstrators, the minister claimed: “Chhatra League activists had never been involved in any kind of violence, and miscreants are spreading misleading news about them.”