Religious Affairs Minister Motiur Rahman on Thursday said the flights carrying Bangladeshi pilgrims to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj this year will begin on July 14.
This year, a total of 127,198 pilgrims - 7,198 under government management and 120,000 under private management - will perform Hajj from Bangladesh, said the minister while speaking at a press briefing over the Hajj management situation.
The government has taken necessary steps so that the pilgrims can go to Saudi Arabia smoothly, he added.
Also Read- 127,198 Bangladeshis to perform Hajj this year; airfare goes up
Besides, action will be taken against Hajj agencies if they are found taking money less or more than the government-set package, Motiur said.
He also said the authorities concerned were asked to take necessary steps in maintaining the Hajj flight schedule.
Earlier in the day, the minister inaugurated the registration process of the Hajj pilgrims for 2018 under the government management at the Secretariat in Dhaka. The process will continue till March 11.
Also Read- Hajj registration begins Thursday
The government has also opened a hotline – 09602666707 - at the Religious Affairs Ministry for making any complaint regarding Hajj management and fraudulence, he said. It will remain open for providing information about Hajj.
The government has approved a total of 774 Hajj agencies for sending pilgrims to Saudi Arabia this year.
Also Read- 64 Hajj agencies lose license over irregularities
The minister said complaints were filed against 193 Hajj agencies for different irregularities. Of these, the licenses of 64 Hajj agencies were cancelled and the security money was also seized, while 17 Hajj agencies were fined with suspension of license.
Meanwhile, Anisur Rahman, acting secretary of the ministry, said Hajj agencies with good performance would be rewarded while action would be taken against those involved in any irregularities.