• Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019
  • Last Update : 12:49 am

Citizens condemn attack on Chakma queen

  • Published at 10:00 pm February 16th, 2018
Citizens condemn attack on Chakma queen
Citizens of Rangamati have condemned Friday's attack on Chakma Queen Yan Yan and her volunteers at Rangamati General Hospital. Rangamati Nagorik Somaj, Himawanti, Women's Resources Network, Headman and Karbari Network and Bangladesh Mahila Parishad jointly held a press conference at a city restaurant on Saturday evening to protest the incident. A written statement was read out by Nirupa Dewan, a former member of National Human Rights Commission, at the press conference, where the attack on Queen Yan Yan was described as tantamount to an attack on the traditional institution of the Chittagong Hill Tracks (CHT). The six organizations demanded a fair investigation and justice for the incident. Yan Yan and some of her volunteers came under the attack on Friday evening, when they were visiting the two Marma sisters who were raped and sexually assaulted allegedly by members of security forces in Orachhari village in Belaichhori upazila on January 22, at Rangamati General Hospital. A group of masked men and women assaulted the queen and her volunteers, according to the victims.
Also Read -- Two Belaichari rape victims handed over to parents
The Chakma queen visited the hospital in her bid to take charge of the two victims, according to Rangamati Deputy Civil Surgeon Nihar Ranjan Nandi. However, the Chakma queen’s request could not be entertained as there was a High Court order to hand over the two girls to their proper guardians, the deputy civil surgeon added.
Also Read -- Two Marma sisters allegedly raped and sexually assaulted in Rangamati
The two sisters were later handed over to their parents. Although the victims claimed that military personnel were involved, the army detained an Ansar and VDP member after the sexual assault. The men were later closed to the battalion headquarters and an investigation is ongoing, according to the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) Directorate. Both the army and Ansar, however, have denied any involvement of their personnel in the incident.