• Friday, Jun 05, 2020
  • Last Update : 12:39 am

NBR to appoint international watchdog to find out laundered money

  • Published at 01:45 pm February 5th, 2018
NBR to appoint international watchdog to find out laundered money
Chairman of National Revenue Board (NBR) has said an international accounting firm would be given the responsibility to investigate the money siphoned off the country. Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan said the above during a meeting on Sunday where NBR signed an agreement with Bangladesh Bank’s Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit (BFIU) for investigating laundered money as part of the drive. NBR member (board administration) SM Ashfaq Hussain and Executive Director of Bangladesh Bank Md Mizanur Rahman Joddar signed the agreement. The NBR chairman said: “We will investigate who has laundered [how much] money abroad until now. We are considering hiring an international accounting firm which could help us collect information related to money laundering from the country.”
Also Read - Swiss central bank eyes record profit for 2017
When asked about the name of the international watchdog, Mosharraf declined to reply, saying: “We will reveal the name after we have signed the agreement.” He also mentioned that BFIU has already started their investigation.
Also Read - NBR listing rich people for taxation
Meanwhile, Bangladesh Bank Deputy Governor Abu Hena Mohd Razee Hassan said: “The report published by 'Global Financial Integrity' (GFI) is not 100% accurate. The Swiss National Bank publishes such information every year. “However, after scrutiny, it was found that almost 93% of the money [mentioned in the report] has been transferred to the banking channel. The remaining 7% belongs to Bangladeshis – many of whom live abroad. This is not a case of money laundering – which proves that the report is inaccurate.” He also said there are 32 ongoing cases in the court regarding money laundering, and the laundered money has been returned to the country. This article was first published on banglatribune.com  
50
50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail