• Thursday, May 13, 2021
  • Last Update : 05:25 pm

27,000 tons of Vietnamese rice arrive in Chittagong

  • Published at 11:16 am July 17th, 2017
  • Last updated at 01:12 pm July 17th, 2017
27,000 tons of Vietnamese rice arrive in Chittagong
The second consignment of rice that the government purchased from Vietnam has arrived at the Chittagong Port. The ship carrying 27,000 tons of rice anchored at the Kutubdia outer anchorage around 2:30am Monday, Controller of Movement and Storage Jahirul Islam of the Department of Food Chittagong told the Dhaka Tribune. He said the third consignment would arrive on July 21. The official further said 60% of the total imported rice from Vietnam would be unloaded at Chittagong port while the rest 40% at Mongla Port.
Also Read: 20,000 tonnes of rice arrive from Vietnam
The government has purchased 200,000 tons of white rice at $430 per ton and 50,000 tons of parboiled rice at $470 per ton from Vietnam to maintain immediate availability of stock in the market, as well as reserves. The country’s rice stock has hit a five year low, at 193,000 tons. Amid the soaring prices of rice, the government on June 20 decided to cut the duty on the staple food import by 18%. Bangladesh produces around 34 million tons of rice annually but uses almost all its production to feed its population of 160 million. It often requires imports, however, to cope with shortages caused by natural calamities like floods and droughts.
50
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail