Investigators will soon file charge sheet in the case filed over Gulshan terrorist attack, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal has said.
“The Holey Artisan attack was a turning point. A charge sheet will be submitted soon,” he said while exchanging Eid greetings with journalists at his office Wednesday, reports Bangla Tribune.
Thanking the law enforcers for working round the clock during the Eid holidays, the home minister said: “The law and order was much better this time. RAB, police and detectives were active. People were seen shopping comfortably.”
Read all Gulshan attack related reports
On May 31, a Dhaka court fixed July 16 as the new date for submitting charge sheet in the Gulshan attack case.
Police’s counter-terrorism unit chief Monirul Islam in March said police had confirmed that 20-22 people were directly involved in the attack, claimed by the Islamic State terrorist group.
“Fourteen of the accused have already been killed in different operations,” Monirul added.
Bangladesh witnessed the deadliest terror attack in its history on July 1 last year when armed militants barged into an upscale eatery in Dhaka’s diplomatic hub and killed 22 people, including 17 foreigners and two policemen.
The five militants, all members of a new faction of Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) that expressed allegiance to IS, were killed after a 12-hour standoff by army commandos.
Several high-profile militants, including Gulshan attack mastermind Tamim Ahmed Chowdhury, have been killed in anti-militancy operations in recent months.