• Saturday, Dec 04, 2021
  • Last Update : 07:36 pm

Importing motorbikes above 150CC objected

  • Published at 01:32 am November 30th, 2016
Importing motorbikes above 150CC objected
According to the Police Headquarters, riders’ reluctance to wear helmets, increase in the use of motorbikes in terrorism and the possibility of more road accidents are the major reasons for refusing to permit two-wheelers above 150CC. On May 15, Bangladesh Motorcycle Assemblers and Manufacturers Association (BMAMA) President Motiur Rahman sent an application to the Commerce Ministry to get permission to import motorbikes up to 165CC and spare parts for them. The application to raise the government’s existing motorbike import policy from 150CC to 165CC was made to widen the country’s shrinking motorbike market and address the user demands, the association explained. The letter also pointed out that the government has been losing a significant amount of revenue due to this import bar. According to the National Board of Revenue, motorbike import decreased from 249,464 in 2009 to 186,808 in 2012. Sources from importers said import figures for the last three years have fallen below 150,000. Consequently, when Commerce Ministry Deputy Secretary Nirod Chandra Mondol sent a letter to the Home Ministry for views on the importers’ demand, the Home Ministry asked the police department to express its views in this regard. And finally on September 21, the Police Headquarters sent its objection to raising the limit to 165CC stating that importing higher configuration motorcycles will create problems. Quoting the Import Policy Order, the Police Headquarters said importing motorbikes above 155CC and those older than three years are prohibited in Bangladesh. Additional DIG AKM Hafiz Akter said: “The police have been using 150CC motorbikes for operational purposes and so the common people should not use motorcycles of higher configuration as this might deteriorate the law enforcement situation. “Permitting higher configuration motorbikes will cause more accidents in Bangladesh as our riders, unlike in other countries, are often reluctant to use helmets.” According to the BMAMA, the country’s motorcycle market is dominated by imported vehicles up to 86% while the remaining 14% comes from local producers Walton and Runner.
54
Facebook 50
blogger sharing button blogger
buffer sharing button buffer
diaspora sharing button diaspora
digg sharing button digg
douban sharing button douban
email sharing button email
evernote sharing button evernote
flipboard sharing button flipboard
pocket sharing button getpocket
github sharing button github
gmail sharing button gmail
googlebookmarks sharing button googlebookmarks
hackernews sharing button hackernews
instapaper sharing button instapaper
line sharing button line
linkedin sharing button linkedin
livejournal sharing button livejournal
mailru sharing button mailru
medium sharing button medium
meneame sharing button meneame
messenger sharing button messenger
odnoklassniki sharing button odnoklassniki
pinterest sharing button pinterest
print sharing button print
qzone sharing button qzone
reddit sharing button reddit
refind sharing button refind
renren sharing button renren
skype sharing button skype
snapchat sharing button snapchat
surfingbird sharing button surfingbird
telegram sharing button telegram
tumblr sharing button tumblr
twitter sharing button twitter
vk sharing button vk
wechat sharing button wechat
weibo sharing button weibo
whatsapp sharing button whatsapp
wordpress sharing button wordpress
xing sharing button xing
yahoomail sharing button yahoomail