A domestic help, who received 100% burn injuries in fire at Gulshan apartment, has died on Monday night in Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
The 18-year-old Sharifa Akter succumbed to her injuries at DMCH burn unit around 10pm, said Prof Dr Md Abul Kalam, head of Burn & Plastic Surgery unit. The deceased Sharifa was the daughter of Kuddus Miah of Habiganj.
Two other housemaids, Parvin Begum, 38, and Bedenda Akhter, 20, were taking treatment at ICU of the hospital with critical injures, said Kalam.
He added that Parvin sustained 90% burn while Bedena 20%.
When contacted, Sraboni Akhter, a younger sister of Parvin, said: “We learned that the fire originated when Sharifa attempted to lit gas stove for cookery. As the room was closed, the licked gas from stove might have been outspread in the room and the fire flamed out rapidly.”
"We suspect a fault on the pipe for supplying gas may have caused it,” Gulshan police Inspector (Investigation) Salauddin Ahmed told the Dhaka Tribune.
An unnatural death case was filed in this connection, he added.
Three domestic workers were burnt in the fire that broke out at an apartment of the ‘Navana Tower’ on Road 73 in Gulshan on Monday night.