A devastating fire broke out at the office of Dhaka Bank housed near the daily Ittefaq building in the capital's Kawran Bazar area on Sunday.
The fire broke at the ground floor of the Dhaka Bank office around 1:45pm, Fire Service and civil Defense headquarters’ on duty officer Inspector Vajan Sarker told the Dhaka Tribune.
Fire Service and Civil Defense Deputy Assistant Director Saleh Uddin said: “The fire originated from a generator after a short circuit at ground floor of the four storied building.”
Fire fighters doused the fire around 2:25pm and no causalities have been reported so far, the official said.
On information, five fire fighting units rushed to the spot to douse the fire, he added.
Senior Vice President of the bank Wahidur Rahaman Choudhwry also informed the Dhaka Tribune that no damages were reported in the building or nearby areas.
"We are working to renovate the building and the fire might be originated from the generator room as workers switched on the generator when the electricity was snapped," he said.
Wahidur, also the manger of the branch, told the Dhaka Tribune that when the electricity went out on Sunday afternoon the generator was switched on but when it the power came back on, maintenance crew were unable to switch it off.
"Hence smoke was coming off the machine," he said.