• Saturday, Dec 07, 2019
  • Last Update : 01:13 am

Seven months into Tonu murder: Family losing hope of getting justice

  • Published at 01:20 am October 24th, 2016
  • Last updated at 04:15 am October 24th, 2016
Seven months into Tonu murder: Family losing hope of getting justice
They said six months have already passed since Tonu was killed by unidentified assailants, but the law enforcers are yet to arrest any of the killers and submit charge sheet, much to create frustration among the justice seekers. Yaar Hossain, father of Tonu, was frustrated seeing no progress in the case. ‘’I feel empty, as I lost my daughter. I feel the pain of losing child.  A few days ago, some officials of the Criminal Investigation Department met me. They told me that they were carrying out the investigation. I do not know when investigation of the case will end,” he told the Dhaka Tribune. ‘’I have become sick after the demise of my daughter. The investigators are yet to match DNP samples which was found on the dress of Tonu with the suspects. We want exemplary punishment of the killers so that no girl faces this kind of consequence.’’ Dhaka Tribune tried to talk to the investigation officer of the case, Sub-Inspector of Comilla CID Jalal Uddin Ahmed, several times but failed, as the official did not pick up his phone. The CID and other investigation agencies have so far grilled over 100 people. On the night of March 20, the body of Tonu, also a theatre activist, was recovered from a bush near her house inside Mainamati Cantonment. Her father Yaar Hossain filed a case with Kotwali model police station the same day. Doctors have already conducted two autopsies on her body. The first report released on April 4 drew uproar, as it said that no sign of murder or rape was found on Tonu’s body. The second report was released on June 12 and it also sparked controversy, as the report found evidence of sexual intercourse on her body. On May 10, parents of the victim named Army Sergeant Jahid, his wife and soldier Jahid for killing their daughter. They also alleged that the law enforcers were trying to save the killers. On April 1, the Criminal Investigation Department was entrusted with the investigation of the case. Special Superintendent of Police Abdul Kahar Akand is coordinating the probe. During the investigation, the Inter-service Public Relations (ISPR) of the army issued several statements saying they were assisting in the probe. The ISPR also claimed that Tonu’s family members had raised baseless and inconsistent allegations at different times and on different issues which may stain the image of the Bangladesh Army.