• Friday, May 24, 2019
  • Last Update : 02:58 am

3 Bangladeshis reportedly killed in Christchurch terror attack, says Foreign Ministry

  • Published at 02:13 pm March 15th, 2019
Web_NEWZEALAND-SHOOTOUT-Reuters
Grieving members of the public following a shooting at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 15, 2019 Reuters

Few more critically injured, 3 missing; the Bangladesh mission in Canberra, Australia has disclosed details for emergency contact

Three people of Bangladeshi origin were killed and few critically injured in the terror attack at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed.

“Among the casualties [nearly 50], there are reports of death of three persons of Bangladeshi origin, and a few more have been critically injured. We still await more details from the New Zealand security officials and hospital authorities officially,” said a press release issued by the ministry on Friday afternoon.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh High Commissioner to Australia Sufiur Rahman, who is also the concurrent envoy to New Zealand, told the Dhaka Tribune that three Bangladeshis are unaccounted for.

“From different sources within our community, I came to know that two Bangladeshis lost their lives in the attacks, two were injured critically and three are missing,” he told this correspondent from Canberra over telephone on Friday afternoon.

“It is not yet clear as to how many Bangladeshis sustained injuries. Things are still sketchy,” he added.


Also Read - New Zealand terror attack kills 49, critically injures 20


When contacted, Foreign Secretary Shahidul Haque said they had been in touch with the New Zealand government constantly.

Quoting Honorary Consul General of Bangladesh Shafiqur Rahman, a BBC Bangla report identified the deceased as Dr Abdus Samad, a teacher of the local Lincoln University, and housewife Hosne Ara.

“Following the gruesome terrorist attacks on two mosques in Christchurch today [Friday], Bangladesh High Commission in Canberra is intensely engaged with the New Zealand authorities for the safety of the members of Bangladesh diaspora and early safe exit of the Bangladesh national cricket team from New Zealand,” said the Foreign Ministry press release.

“The two attacks were made at Masjid Al Noor and Deans Avenue Mosque during the Friday prayers. The incident had happened minutes before the Bangladesh cricket team arrived at the mosque. The team members are safe at the hotel, though traumatized,” it said.


Also Read - New Zealand terror attack: Tigers survive close shave


The New Zealand police have assigned dedicated security personnel for the team and New Zealand Cricket, in consultation with Bangladesh Cricket Board, is making arrangement for their safe exit early, it added.

The Bangladesh High Commission directly, and through the Honorary Consul of Bangladesh in Auckland, disseminated message to the Bangladeshis and the diaspora living in New Zealand in general and Christchurch in particular to remain calm, stay indoors, avoid places of congregation and to obey the instructions of the law enforcement officials, said the release.

Honorary Consul of Bangladesh Shafiqur Rahman, based in Auckland, will arrive in Christchurch on Saturday morning to extend support to the Bangladeshi victims.
He may be contacted at his mobile phone number +64 21024 65819.


Also Read - A few minutes delay saves Bangladesh cricketers


Deputy High Commissioner Tareq Ahmed, along with a consular officer at the high commission, will also proceed to Christchurch at the earliest possible time on Saturday to provide all kinds of support. The deputy high commissioner may be contacted at his mobile phone number +61 450 657 046.

Additionally, all the diplomats at Bangladesh High Commission, Canberra are available round the clock for information and assistance. Two additional numbers for emergency contact are +61 424 472 544 and +61 450 173 035.