One of the pitfalls of fasting in Dhaka is that too often the benefits of fasting are undone by the intake of unhealthy fried food during iftar. This Ramadan, Cookups brings you quick and easy recipes to make breaking your fast a healthy, refreshing experience
Fresh Summer Rolls
Ingredients for the roll:
• 8 sheets of rice paper
• 24 medium boiled shrimp (peeled and deveined)
• ½ cup chicken (boiled with salt and ginger-garlic paste)
• 50 gram dried vermicelli noodles
• 8 lettuce leaves (crunchy core removed)
• 24 mint leaves
• 24 basil leaves
• ½ cup shredded carrots
• ½ cup julienne cut cucumber
• ½ cup julienne cut tomato
Asian Dipping Sauce
• 1 Tbsp Sugar
• 1 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
• 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
• 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
• 1 Tbsp Red chili chopped
• 1 Tbsp Garlic Minced
• 1 Tsp spring onion chopped
• 1 Tsp Mint Chopped
• 1 Tsp Fresh coriander leaves chopped
Peanut Dipping Sauce
• 2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
• 1 Tbsp peanut butter
• 1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
• 1 Tsp sugar
• 1/3 cup water
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• Salt as required
1. Asian Dipping Sauce: Combine all the ingredients. Mix properly and adjust to taste.
2. Peanut Sauce: Combine the Peanut Dipping Sauce ingredients. Whisk properly and microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool. Adjust with salt and sugar to taste.
3. Assemble the Roll:
1. Lettuce Bundle: Place vermicelli noodles, carrots, cucumber, tomato basil leave, spring onion in a lettuce leaf, then roll it up. Make 8 lettuce bundle. Keep it aside for use (at step- 4)
2. Place vermicelli noodles in a bowl and cover with warm water for 2 minutes, then drain (or follow packet instructions).
3. Fill a large bowl with warm water to soak the rice paper for 20 seconds. Bring it out and place it on a chopping board.
4. On the top part of the rice paper, place 3 prawns, chicken, lettuce bundle and 3 mint leaves in the middle of the rice paper.
5. Fold the left and right edges of the rice paper in, then starting from the bottom, roll up to cover the lettuce bundle. Make a roll.
6. Rice paper rolls should look like the picture with the prawn and mint leaves on the upper side of the roll
7. Serve immediately with the peanut dipping sauce.