• Monday, Nov 18, 2019
  • Last Update : 02:14 pm

3 of a family killed in fire at plastic warehouse in Islambagh

  • Published at 05:53 pm February 25th, 2017
  • Last updated at 02:22 am February 26th, 2017
3 of a family killed in fire at plastic warehouse in Islambagh
Three members of a family were killed and a man has suffered burn injuries after a fire broke out at a plastic warehouse in Islambagh's Beribadh area Saturday. Lalbagh zone Deputy Commissioner Md Ibrahim Khan said the deceased were a man two women. They were Shamim Hossain, 32, his wife Shima Akhter, 27, and their cousin Saleha Begum, 35. The three were living in a two storey building which contained Shamim's Plastic factory on the ground floor. Shamim had gone to sleep in his room upstairs after closing his store in the afternoon, and he was unable to escape with his family members after the blaze began. Their bodies were recovered from the stairwell at around 8:40pm, when they were sent to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) morgue. During a visit to the affected area at Itwalaghat of Paschim Islambagh, it was found to be heavily overcrowded. Eye witnesses and locals claimed that the fire originated from the two-storied building of one Opu, son of late Shefali Begum. Shamim's mother Shokhina told the Dhaka Tribune that she ran out of the house with one of her daughters. As she lamented the deaths of her son, daughter-in-law, and niece, she fainted multiple times. The building, made of wood and tin, had seven scrap metal trading shops on the ground floor with other areas rented out, said locals. Most of the residents used locally made ovens which may have led to the fire, said fire service authorities. 15 shops and four multi-storey buildings were gutted in the blaze, said Deputy Director of the Fire Service and Civil Defence HQ in Dhaka Samarendra Nath Biswas. The injured Hazrat Ali, who was taken to DMCH, suffered burns on 10% of his body. According to Fire Service Headquarters Operator Ziaur Rahman, the blaze erupted around 4:25pm and spread to some tin-shed houses adjacent the storehouse. At least 12 firefighting units were working to douse the fire.